Thursday, May 26, 2011

Primary Visual Aids within the art room: more negative than positive ?

Something I have found through my Hdip year is the use of Primary Visual Aids to causing more of a negative effect rather than a positive and a un-motivating factor. I have used the workshops through out the year to be more brave an do more experimental work and make interesting visual aids. But over time I personally feel that showing visual aids made by the 'teacher' has a negative effect on the pupils.

Workshops from the college year

On two occasions in particular I have made visual aids for a certain discipline and the results are not to promising for the area of lino print I was ambitious and made a series of prints and a strong brainstorming sheet.These visuals had a more negative affect on a certain percentage of the class I noted. For sure pupils were amazed and inspired at the visuals I made and how 'cool' and 'fun' they were but on the other level pupils informed me that this visuals were made by an art teacher who was an 'artist' and how it was going to be impossible for them to compete with these seeming 'ambitious' visuals. This made me think afters and question. Should I show visual aids that I make or have examples of other pupils within there age group having done the same discipline ?


 For instance as part of my research methodology module. I looked at the area of visual aids and informing the class with them. I look at Primary visual aids,secondary aids and ICT related ways of viewing visual aids that informed my pupils and in particular my special needs pupil an Aspergers sufferer. I investigated the role visual aids play within the art room and did a series of investigations to find out which mode of communication proved to be the most successful. Recording my findings it was sad to say that my own produced visual aids were the weakest factor from the whole project. I found it hard to believe but I could see the harmful effects my visual aids had on my pupils.

I myself after  the methodology research project took some time out and reflected on my own art education when i was in school and easily remember myself and other peers looking at our teachers visuals and all agreeing that 'of course her prints,life drawings,batiks are going to be great she is doing this for years!'  Thinking alon these lines it has made me think what if in future i was to show other pupils work within the school as within my art room the residential teachers has the senior cycles work up  on show in the art room and I has interested to see how pupils preferred and warmed more to there work. Why ? simply because i wasn't the 'Art teacher' but also younger pupils look up to the senior cycles and it was clear to see my pupils looking at 5th years and 6th years in admiration and wonder. 

Thinking logically about it now, I think its more suitable to show the pupils when I'm teaching in future other pupils work and possibly one work by me the teacher. Seeing work within there age group and ability I feel the class are more willing and open to see there work fully knowing even if they are not continuing on with art in years to come after school, they can at least think 'wow i can progress to that type of work and skill when i am in 5th year'


No comments:

Post a Comment