Friday, May 27, 2011

Class research : My views on Howards Gardners view on multiple intelligences

Having touched briefly on Multiple intelligences in an earlier blog from term 2 of my course I had the challenge of completing my Literature Review, a milestone for me personally to do and complete. I like to explore and discuss further a particular research method that has made a personal connection with me as a weak learner pupil, in my own school days. I have learnt alot about Gardners theory of multiply intelligences. Some of the following findings I've learnt have made me more aware of what type of learner I am and why I struggled so much in my secondary education and now see it within my classroom.
'Frames of Mind' was published in 1983 stating Howard's Gardner's theory on multiply intelligences. Its mission was to show that intelligence can be viewed in series of channels and not traditionally like before which included verbal and computational intelligence. Howard Gardner viewed intelligence as 'the capacity to solve problems or to fashion products that are valued in one or more cultural setting' 
  •  Logical -Mathematical- Problems are approached logically,number and abstract patterns are understood and problems are recognised and solved using reasoning skills. 
  • Musical- Rhythmic- One is sensitive to non verbal sounds in the environment including beat,melody and tone. To be aware of patterns in rhythm,pitch and compose music. 
  • Naturalistic- The pupil is sensitive to the natural world and can see connections and patterns with the animal and plant kingdom. 
  • Visual-spatial- One can create mental images and think three dimensionally and is aware of relationship between objects in space 
  • Interpersonal- sensitive to the feelings of others and understand and interacts effectively with others and sees motivational factors and desires and fear within people. 
  • Intrapersonal- To be sensitive to one's own feelings and moods, are self aware and can make accurate decisions and set goals and knows own strength and weaknesses.
  • Bodily-Kinaesthetic – Use's one's body to communicate and solve problems and can adapt with objects and activities using fine and gross motor skills. 
  • Verbal- Linguistic – One thinks in words has the ability to learn languages to further their goals, and use visual language and poetry to express one's self.
 After researching this I made a connection myself that all through my education I was in remedial help for alot of my subjects and now looking researching I can see what type of learner I am, I fall into the Bodily- Kinaesthetic and Intrapersonal Intelligences. I see how I simple things could have improved my over all learning and not looking at my class profiles I can sense and even see certain pupils who are disruptive and bored in my class. Acknowledging this I will like to think in my future years of teaching when I have my own school that I will be equipped to see different intelligences and relate and motivate the pupils. I do think its possible to set out a questionnaire at the beginning of the school year and see what type of intelligence the pupil falls under and then for the school year zoom in on these and make the pupils over all learning a more purposeful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment