On my first encounter with the special needs assistant I was very unsure and vague on what an SNA did, I was told she will be an invisible player in the classroom environment and will lend support and care to my aspergers pupil, at first I was very aware of the SNA in the classroom and felt very uncomfortable as I felt like she was an inspector, observing me and how I was managing the classroom as a whole but soon enough half way through the class I soon learned that the SNA was really there for the special needs pupil and not to observe me and I soon loosened up.
Soon after two more classes I was grateful and happy for the SNA to come, she took in the information I was teaching to the fellow pupils and she wrote it down and read it to pupil A in an easier and discreet way, for the first couple of class other pupils questioned the SNA and asked her questions in regard to the subject and asked for her help. Seeing she was only there to support her special needs pupil she asked the pupils to ask me and to listen more carefully, here I soon realised that I should have spoken up and said that I was the teacher who has experience in teaching art and that if anyone ever has a problem to ask me. Soon I noticed one certain pupil constantly looking for reassurance and help from the SNA although he was fully able and knowledgeable of the subject I found it unecessary for him to ask her questions.
Be week three I went to further explore the pupils background history and soon saw that in first year he was bullied alot and made fun of as he demanded alot of time and attention and assurance from fellow teachers which lead to outside bullying in the yard. Knowing that the SNA was allocated time to cater and help my special needs pupil, the normal learning pupil I thought needed more attention from me rather than from the class and distracting the SNA.
By week four after discussion with my residential teacher she and I agreed that it would be good for me to move this pupil aware from pupil A and his SNA and for him to come up closer to me at the top of the classroom. I also was very aware not to single him out and moved another 4 pupils within the classroom. After doing this I moved the more demanding pupil to the top of the class next to me and another 3 pupils, making sure I wasn't isolating him.
Sure enough the pupil was happier to be up closer to me and he asked me lots of questions and advice in which I was more able to facilitate him and teach the class. The pupil was further away from the SNA and pupil A and since his move hasn't interrupted the SNA from her helping with pupil A or hindered her time and dedication with my special needs pupils.
No comments:
Post a Comment