Pupil A was Asperger's syndrome and I was told to expect little or no eye contact with him and not to expect class interaction with him either. I was told what subjects he receives separate tutoring in maths and science. I was then introduced to his SNA and she was welcoming and told me what she will be doing for the duration of my classes. I felt at ease and was made sure that pupil A wasn't violent or a moody obstructive character. I also was made aware that this class year we great with pupil A and although didn't know about his condition, they respected him and treated him with the respect and decency and bullying was never a factor.
On first arrival to the class it was noted previously that pupil A has a certain seat in each classroom so when he was to walk in I was aware of who he was without making a scene or issue of who he was. Surely enough on first arrival i noticed pupil A looking at me and conferring with his SNA alot.
For the first 3 weeks I got the class to make 'public sculptures' and I moved tables around the room and got the class to go into groups and make and build in teams. I was aware of pupil A and was sensitive to moving the tables, I asked pupil A was it ok for me to move his table together with the table in front of him? He said 'yes' and Having been told that once I get confirmation from pupil A it was a sign that he was happy and content.
| 1st view of Pupil's Art scultpure piece |
| 2nd view of pupil's A sculpture piece |
I also have weekly interaction with a junior cert pupil who takes extra English lessons in the art room after my double art class on a Tuesday, the pupil suffers from ADD and is always 5 mins early after break in the morning waiting at the door. The pupil is clumsy/rough in his manner and gets easily excited and each week comes into class and sits at the computer waiting for his class to begin. The pupil is talkative and doesn't do art but is always asking questions about the pupils work and visuals on the wall. The pupil is also inclined to help me which I don't want him too as its not his role or responsibility and being rough and clumsy in his nature I am aware of the health and safety hazards also. I have to tell this pupil every week that I am ok for help and thank him for suggesting his offer but he should take out his books for the teacher that's coming in soon. Every week is the same cycle and conversation and I learnt to be friendly and stern with him as again he is in the art room, a room that he isn't familiar with and with the nature of it being a more practical hands on room, I see this pupil getting excited by the things around him. I have adapted a more sterner role as I am concerned for his welfare and hes grown to know me and respect what I say and the pupil sits at the table and now waits for his lesson.
asperger's pupil and for him to walk up to the top of the class and to greet me in the school hallways its great to think I myself is making progress with pupil A and hope for the remainder of my time in the school to make more progress with pupil A.
No comments:
Post a Comment